Windstar Unveils Plans For Star Breeze & Star Legend
The Windstar fleet will expand from 4 ships to 6 in May 2015 with the addition of 2 small luxury ships from Seabourn. The line has announced the changes planned to transform these motor yachts to Windstar’s signature style.
Windstar takes possession of the 1st Seabourn ship on April 15th, 2015, after which it will undergo an $8.5 million, 3 wk. renovation in Genoa. The ship will debut as Star Breeze at a christening ceremony on May 6th, 2015 in Nice. The 2nd ship follows suit, joining the fleet on May 4th, 2015, and completing a similar $8.5 million renovation. It will be christened Star Legend on May 25th, 2015 in Rome.
Star Breeze and Star Legend join sister-ship, Star Pride, marking the completion of the acquisition announced in February, 2013. The expansion doubles the size of Windstar’s fleet of 3 sailing yachts, giving the line a total of 1,242 berths and 6 ships.
“Star Breeze and Star Legend will receive a full stem-to-stern transformation, more than doubling the investment that was spent on Star Pride’s original enhancements,” says Hans Birkholz, Windstar Cruises’ Chief Executive Officer. “We learned a lot about our guests’ preferences with the debut of Star Pride last year. We are taking their feedback and giving them what they want with the launch of these 2 all-suite yachts.”
Key changes on Star Breeze and Star Legend that differ from Star Pride include:
• Lounge: The entertainment lounge will be completely transformed with new flooring and furniture. The changes will make the show lounge an amenable space for entertainment, meetings or small gatherings.
• Veranda: the restaurant in the aft of the yacht will have expanded outdoor seating, complete with a garden wall.
• Star Deck: the outdoor deck will be expanded by 4 ft. on each side, giving additional space for guests to relax on lounge chairs
• Star Screening Room: The space is being changed from a card room to an intimate screening room where guests can watch current movies and play video games.
Both yachts will also receive upgrades to suites, public areas and dining venues. Public areas will receive updated décor, complete with new, more modern upholstery, lighting, wall coverings, carpeting, ceiling finishes, window treatments and floors.
Some public space renovation highlights include:
• Yacht Club: The observation lounge on the top deck was one of the most well- received spaces on Star Pride. The space becomes a coffee bar and lounge where guests can enjoy espresso and light bites. The lounge receives a complete overhaul, including new flooring, lounge furniture and an open layout for shoreline or sea views.
• Compass Rose: The club space will turn into Windstar’s Compass Rose, redesigned with new contemporary furnishings, including flooring finishes, plantation shutters. Live music can be found here nightly.
• Star Bar: The Star Bar will offer casual drinks during the day and a venue for star-gazing by night. The bar area will be expanded with teak decking, new stools, new awning and lighting.
Dining Venues: All restaurants will be transformed to reflect Windstar’s casual elegance philosophy, where guests are free to eat when, where and with whom they please (no jackets or ties required). All dining experiences are complimentary.
• AmphorA: Windstar’s formal dining experience will be introduced as AmphorA Restaurant. The main dining room will be redesigned, featuring mirror panels with Murano glass, new soft lighting, wall coverings, and art work.
• Candles: At night Veranda will transform to Candles, a romantic setting where guests can dine with table service under the stars.
Suites: Every guest suite will be upgraded with new carpets, linens, couches, chairs, mattresses, curtains and headboards, as well as a modern colour palette.
• Destination Suites: the Owner’s Suites will now showcase different, unique Windstar destinations, such as the Bora Bora Suite.
Windstar also announced a $3 million additional renovation of Star Pride set for April 2016. The Star Pride joined Windstar’s fleet in May of 2014, after a moderate facelift and updated furnishings. The continuation of the transformation includes the completion of the AmphorA dining room remodel and a total renovation of the Lounge, Veranda and Screening Room.
“With the addition of these 2 newly renovated yachts, we can meet our consumer demand, enhance the feel of luxury, and continue to rank at the top of the small cruise line industry,” Birkholz said.