Industry Mourns Loss Of Mary Ogaki

Bruce Parkinson, Open Jaw

Mary Ogaki with CAA's Patricia Marques at a TravelBrands event.

Mary at Open Jaw's Winterboob.

Canadian industry veteran and popular personality Mary Ogaki has passed away unexpectedly at the too-young age of 53.

A national accounts manager at Royal Caribbean since 2013, Ogaki previously held roles with companies including Sears Travel, Red Seal Tours, Encore Cruises, Thomas Cook and Transat Distribution Canada.

Her familiar smile and laugh made Ogaki a memorable presence at industry events including Open Jaw’s Winterboob fundraiser, where she was an enthusiastic participant.

Ogaki passed away during a work trip in St. John’s, NF, a city that was one of her favourite places, according to Royal Caribbean colleague and friend Lisa Connell. Lisa shared her deep feelings of loss for her friend and colleague: "I look around the room and I see so many things which remind of the trips we've taken together. We did everything together. I just can't believe she's gone."

“When I heard the news yesterday afternoon, time stood still,” said Open Jaw’s Nina Slawek. “It’s just so hard to absorb that someone so full of life could be taken so soon.”

Cruise Strategies president Vanessa Lee worked with Ogaki at Encore Cruises. “She was always so positive, always smiling. And she got things done. Mary was a good woman with a good heart. It is a tragic loss for us all. I’m heartbroken.”

Nino Montagnese, managing director of Air Canada Vacations, spoke for many with the simple words: “She was a beautiful soul.”

Please note: Lisa Connell would like industry friends to know that the Ogaki family has chosen a private service for Mary. However, an industry Celebration of Life for Mary is being planned for this summer and details will be announced at a later time. In lieu of flowers, Lisa would like to honour Mary's love of animals and we will be setting up a tribute page on the Toronto Humane Society website.

At Toronto's TravelBrands agent trade show organizers placed a picture
of Mary along with a memories book at the Royal Caribbean booth.

Comments

Kathy Goldsmith - April 18, 2018 @ 09:04
My thoughts and prayers go out to Mary's Family. Mary was a very special lady and I will miss her deeply. I am grateful I was able to spend fun times with Mary over the years we worked together in the industry. Be at peace my dear friend.

Celeste Kerschbaum - April 17, 2018 @ 17:04
I will never forget Mary. She had such a lovely smile and laugh that could warm up any room. I loved when she was part of our conferences. Mary will be greatly missed. Rest in peace, I hope that you are surrounded by all that you love that may have left this earth before you!!

Glen M - April 17, 2018 @ 12:04
OMG...I am just hearing of her passing now. I am sitting at the office sobbing. I have worked with Mary for many many years in my last role with my previous company and we have shared many laughs and experiences. This is such a devastating loss to the RCI family & entire industry. My thoughts and prayers go out to her family during this difficult time. RIP Mary. You will be very missed, your laugh was infectious just like your smile.

sandy sundar - April 16, 2018 @ 15:04
Taken away too soon. Had lovely Bravo Trips with her.Will be sadly missed

Mary - April 15, 2018 @ 09:04
You are missed - terribly missed ... dynamic loved always a laugh and a smile
Loved high school, uhhh the best was our summer times

Linda Josimovic - April 13, 2018 @ 13:04
I have known and worked with Mary over her 30years and absolutely adored her! Too soon to lose her, but what an amazing impression she has left on all of us!
thanks Mar you will be truly missed!!

Mark Linton - April 13, 2018 @ 12:04
Very saddened to hear of Mary's passing. A true and natural sales star in the travel industry. Condolences to friends and family. RIP Mary.

Doreen Lynch - April 13, 2018 @ 10:04
Nina...Like most of us, I'm still reeling from the news of Mary's passing. Your article release was especially touching this AM. I remember how much fun Mary had where ever she went and the Winterboob picture was a great reminder of her infectious full of life personality. D

MIRA LOKIETEK - April 13, 2018 @ 09:04