Air Canada Named 2019 Airline Of The Year By Global Traveler
Air Canada has been named the 2019 Airline of the Year by Global Traveler, a magazine for luxury business and leisure travellers.
"The success we have had transforming our airline into a leading global carrier is being recognized worldwide and we continue to invest in new aircraft, onboard services, airport amenities and a new loyalty program to build on our leading position," said Calin Rovinescu, President and Chief Executive of Air Canada.
"Mostly, however, this award recognizes the hard work of our employees and their commitment to deliver customer service excellence every day, for which I thank them."
Global Traveler's staff submitted nominations to an advisory board, whose members chose the winners based on a series of factors. The panel weighed the nominees' financial data, safety records, product offerings, onboard menus and overall image as a brand before selecting Air Canada as Airline of The Year.
Since 2010, AC has embarked on a $12 billion capital expenditure program to elevate the travel experience which has included:
- A global network connecting its Canadian gateway hubs to nearly 220 cities around the world. AC is one of a few airlines in the world to serve all six inhabited continents;
- A wide body fleet renewal program that introduced Boeing 777s and state-of-the-art Boeing 787 Dreamliners. That includes a refurbishment of the A330 fleet to the Dream cabin;
- A narrow body fleet renewal which continues this month with the delivery of the airline's first Airbus A220-300 aircraft;
- Cabin interiors across its wide-body fleet that feature lie-flat direct aisle access Signature Class seats and a Premium Economy cabin with increased pitch and width;
- Signature Class Service internationally and year-round on select North America transcontinental flights;
- BMW Chauffeur Service for select customers connecting to international flights at its YYZ global hub;
- New international, domestic and U.S. Maple Leaf Lounge concepts, including the Air Canada Signature Suite for eligible customers travelling in Signature Class internationally from YYZ;
- Enhanced onboard amenities such as signature dishes prepared by Canadian celebrity chefs David Hawksworth, Antonio Park and Vikram Vij, coupled with wine pairings by sommelier Veronique Rivest; a revamped Skyriders program with special amenities for young travellers; in-flight Wi-fi connectivity on all narrow-body aircraft and progressive implementation onboard the wide-body fleet, complementing its seatback entertainment system;
- Ongoing customer service training initiatives for customer-facing in-flight, airport, baggage and call centre employees;
- Technological innovations to facilitate customer interactions, including a new website compatible with all types of devices for a consistent experience, ongoing refinements of mobile technology, and increased investments in artificial intelligence to further develop customer-focused capabilities and information management.